Several psychedelic drugs are in Schedule I. Meaning, it is highly potential for abuse and does not have therapeutic values. However, there’s a Psychedelic Therapy that contradicts Schedule I. What is it? Is it safe?
While most of the psychedelic drugs are considered Schedule I drugs in several states or countries, some people use these drugs to experience “tripping” – a psychedelic experience with a temporarily altered state of consciousness for recreational purposes.
However, psychedelic trips aren’t just for recreation. The method is also used as a therapy – psychedelic therapy.
Psychedelic Therapy, also known as Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy (PAP), is a psychiatric method that involves using psychedelic substances, such as LSD and psilocybin found in magic mushrooms.
How does it work?
The use of psychedelic drugs as a part of psychotherapy is still considered an experiment, meaning the method is still in the study. Nevertheless, there are several success stories in psychedelic therapies.
Psychedelic Therapy has several types, including:
- Drug-assisted therapy – is a method that uses psychotherapy and psychedelic drugs.
- Using psychedelics alone – a method where practitioners give their patients the right dose of the psychedelic drug without other procedures or treatments.
- Guided psychedelic therapy – the practitioners guide their patients during a psychedelic trip. It also involves therapeutic suggestions to keep the patient calm during the experience.
Who can undergo Psychedelic Therapy?
Practitioners do not easily recommend their patients Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy without proper evaluation of the patient is qualified enough to undergo the therapy. Generally, PAP is suggested to clients who are suffering from mental health problems, such as:
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Alcohol and drug addiction
- Eating disorders
Undergoing Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy is suggested to provide:
- Experiencing calmness and relaxation
- Boost of sense of well-being
- Boost in social connectedness
- Experiencing spiritual connection
How to undergo PAP?
In PAP, the exact dosing of psychedelic substances is a must. So, to undergo the therapy, you need to visit a practitioner for preparatory consultation for evaluation if the psychedelic therapy is good for you.
How is a psychedelic substance administered?
Under the supervision of a trained therapist or practitioner, a psychedelic substance can be taken orally administered through injection. Practitioners often use substance microdosing to ensure the safety and efficiency of the drug.
Are there risks to consider?
If psychedelic substances are used for medical purposes with the supervision of a licensed practitioner, there are fewer to no side effects. However, if a psychedelic trip is abused and used outside a clinical setting, there is a high possibility of experiencing the effects of a bad trip, including:
- Experiencing the negative effects of distorted reality and altered sense of time
- Distorted perpetual experiences
- Intense emotions and perception
- Serious hallucination, causing paranoia
- Intense fear
- Increase in blood pressure
If you know someone who you think needs Psychedelic-Assisted Psychotherapy, you need to have them visit a licensed therapist offering psychedelic therapy. Additionally, to avoid the risks of a bad trip, do not allow self-treatment using a psychedelic substance. Furthermore, research the treatment before considering it.