Do you love festive, summer drinks, but you also care about how you look, so you are warier about the calorie intake than ever? Summer cocktails range widely in calories. From 50 calories for a shot of vodka, you can go as high as 500 calories for a creamy or sugary cocktail. If you love pina colada, you should think twice before you order it. In general, the best bet that you can make is on wine, but if you simply love cocktails, you can make a good choice. It is all about being well-informed and knowing a few tips and tricks. The calories for the alcohol itself range from 60 to 100, depending on what you choose, but it is the mix-up that adds to the total. Daiquiri blends, for example, add 160 calories in a 2-ounce serving, but you usually sip these in 12 or 16-ounce glasses. It means that you are looking at 320 calories, at least.
The good news is that you can make wise choices and find light cocktails as long as you follow a few pre-ordering tips. Here are some of the most effective ones.
- Go for cleara, such as wine, champagne, beer, or hard alcohol.
- Always choose a premium spirit, a so-called top shelf. It is powerful, expensive, but you at least know that it is a much better choice compared to a sugary cocktail.
- Avoid sugary sodas, energy drinks, juice, and mixers. They are high in calories and also worsen a hangover. If you are looking for some extra flavor, try adding flavored seltzer.
- Keep it fresh. You will fall in love with freshly squeezed citrus-like lime cocktails. Add some pomegranate seeds for more antioxidants and flavor.
- Ask the bartender if the cocktail is made with fresh fruit or syrup. If it is made from syrup, ask for less. Also, you can ask if you can get your drink with an alternative flavor, such as fresh ginger or herbs.
- DIY your favorites. Go with clears when you are out and about and DIY your favorites at home. If you love daiquiris or pina colada, it is easier to control their sugar content when you prepare them at home.
Here are a few ideas for low-calorie drinks to order while out:
- Vodka soda. It has about 65 calories per ounce of vodka, while soda is calorie-free. In comparison, a gin and tonic have around 200 calories.
- It became an Instagram favorite in the last few years. It is made of rose wine, fruit, and ice. It tastes great, and since it is made of a clear drink combined with fruit, it is a low-calorie drink.
- Champagne cocktail. If you haven’t tried one yet, you should do it. It is delicious. It contains a sugar cube, bitters, and citrus twist. It tastes better than a mimosa, and I know that you will love it.
You can enjoy a good cocktail and also avoid calories as long as you put these tips and tricks into practice.